Aloha, Elizabeth

We have her soaking in the "hot tub" now. The temperature is about 83 F, which seems to be as warm as we can get it without melting the plastic from being too close to the lamp. She really doesn't like being there, whether it is because of the dampness or just not being in her familiar surroundings with her leaves and things, I'm not sure. Maybe she doesn't like the texture of the washcloth.

She went straight for the walls and tried to crawl up them, and has continued to do so. Much of the time, she just moves her arms and legs (which she can actually now do in the increased moisture level) without moving her body, but she has managed to crawl about half-way up the wall before sliding back down. I worry about the energy she is expending, but she is determined.

Update: my husband tried the tweezers again (my hands shake too much) and we managed to get the skin off her head! Also part of it off one arm and a big hunk off her stomach. We had to keep wetting her and she ran all over the place -- we can't actually "hold" her as I think we would break her arms if we tried, so we just try to corral her between our fingers! And after being in the sauna, she is really active!! But we are so happy to have some success, just wish it had gone faster. We put her back in the sauna to help loosen up the skin as it had started to harden again. This time she isn't even trying to crawl the walls. Smart cookie -- she is just sitting in the middle where we put her. She already has learned the drill. Maybe the next tweezer session will go easier. Ha, ha. ;)

Having "wild" geckos all over is one of the things I love most about living in Hawaii! We have geckos everywhere! Most prominently the day geckos, but a fair number of house geckos and a surprising number of mourning geckos, too. When the day geckos were first introduced into Hawaii a few years back they thought it might be the end of the some of the original varieties. However, we have found that the mourning geckos are making a bit of a comeback, even though they are at a distinct physical disadvantage. But they are much smarter -- very quick witted, fast, determined and will stand up to someone twice their size! I was so amazed when I saw them down in the bananas arch up their backs like cats and stare down big old day geckos thrice their size over papaya! And they quickly learn that I mean them no harm and will take mealworms out of my hand, even the ones that don't live in the house! They are really fun to watch!

But that doesn't mean I don't love the day geckos, too. They are so endearing because they look at you & interact with you so much. As I sit and type this, I have a little one named Sneaker Girl who is sitting between some papers on the table next to my laptop watching me. I have water & papaya out for her and give her an occasional mealworm. She used to live outside on the lanai, but decided to come in one day and staked out my table. She sits here for a few hours and then goes off and does other things. She's called Sneaker Girl because we had a friend over who wore bright green sneakers and the gecko was attracted to them so much (I have no idea why) that she climbed up on the lanai table leg and jumped over onto the sneakers. Luckily our friend likes geckos, too. ;)

We are really keeping our fingers crossed!! ;)

Mahalo, Sherron

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
And Aloha Sherron ~
Thanks for these details. Please try the humidity chamber near a lamp for a few hours. Use a wet washcloth that has been wrung out and place it in the vented, plastic container. Watch the water droplets form. After only a few hours I imagine her skin might be loose enough to start a split.

Another idea! Have something like a twig, small branch, or a section of choya wood --- something rough that she could snuggle up against to assist in the shed.

I hope the skin shed helps her right leg work more efficiently!
Keep us posted! Wish I lived near the beach in a place warm enough where geckos roamed freely ;-] Elizabeth

    Aloha, Elizabeth

    She is about 3/4" from nose to vent -- she is the smallest day
    gecko hatchling we have ever seen, although some of our mourning
    gecko hatchlings are even tinier.

    This sounds like it might work!  If it would just soften enough to
    pull off her or get a split started, I think we could get the neck
    skin off.  We have been misting her little cage and putting a
    heating pad next to it, but that only helps a little and wasn't
keeping the humidity up high enough.
    She has never seemed to be able to fully control her right leg,
    and her right foot is smaller than her left and the toes kind of
    clumped together. She often tends to move the joint and leg
    together as a unit, so there may be something wrong with the
    joint, too. Although in watching her with the skin problem, some
    of that may just be the skin being so tight it restricts her movement.

    Usually when we find the hatchlings, most of that first skin has
    already been shed, but she was fully covered with it and it has
    only recently started splitting. We do think it hinders her use of
    her limbs -- her arms are only about the size of thin pencil lead,
    and the skin seems to fully coat those.

    She has been doing okay up until the last couple of days, though,
    when the skin (I hope that it isn't something else, too) started
    really becoming a problem. She now gets around by lurching her
    body back and forth because her little arms & legs are still
encased in the skin, although it has come off some of the back. And she is green underneath, not gray!

    We haven't ever actually kept any of the geckos before, as they
    run all around our house, lanai and garden (Phelsuma laticauda,
    house - Hemidactylus frenatus, & Mourning - Lepidodactylus
    lugubris). But we had to make an exception in her case, since she
    couldn't fend for herself. Usually we just take the hatchlings
    outside so they have a better chance of survival -- we have lots
    of big geckos running around inside and they don't last long if we
    don't get to them first. :(

    Mahalo, Sherron

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    Hello Sherron ~

    Try the humidity chamber trick.  I can't view your photos at home
    because my laptop is really memory-challenged, so I don't know
    how big this gecko is!  However, my mourning geckos are 1" 3/8"
    at hatching.  Try placing your gecko in a *vented* plastic
    container with a damp washcloth inside.  Place this near a light.
     Almost immediately you will notice beads of water accumulate on
    the sides/top of the container.  After a few hours or so perhaps
    you can remove the rings of old skin around her neck gently with
    a tweezers or small scissors.

    What is the problem with her right leg?  Might you have a new pet
    here?

Elizabeth

    Subj:*[gecko]Question on hatchling Gold Dust Day Gecko having
    trouble shedding "egg skin"*