[moved to geda-dev]

> after the HID conversion, keepouts are high on my hit list.  Reminds
> me... I should check in my document I plan to work from.

One of the things I was thinking was adding a "layer flag" to each
layer.  I think I've mentioned this before, but the hid's set_layer()
api makes it a lot easier to design.  Each layer's flags have a bit
for "component side", one for "solder side" (none or both mean "inner"
or "all", like for keep-outs), and a bit for "copper" (non-copper top
might be, for example, mask or silk).

Most of the code would only need to test the "copper" bit, and ignore
non-copper layers (atm everything is copper anyway, so this should be
straight-forward).  Then, we can have an enum field for special layer
type (copper, anticopper, outline, keepout, silk, mask, antimask, etc)
that corresponds to the set_layer enums.