On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 05:40, John Luciani wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Vaughn Treude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I did not know you had such a big collection of footprints!  It would
> > have saved me some work.  My circuit has a few off-beat components on
> > it, but I was surprised to see that a  number of standard SMD components
> > were not in there, and I ended up creating them.
>
> The collections contains parts that I have used or planned on using. Since
> I currently do not have an easy way to solder BGAs or QFN style
> packages you will
> not find those types (except for a couple of QFN's). I also have not
> use PGA styles (yet).
>
> I am curious which common SMD components weren't there?

I meant that the footprints that came with gEDA are missing a lot of
common SMD components.  Your list is very extensive.  It has several
footprints that I've unfortunately already created, such as D2PAK and
the 2010 chip resistor.  On some of the parts I needed, it was unclear
as whether they matched anything standard, for example, the 2505 photo
coupler IC.  The thing's wider than an SOIC narrow and narrower than a
wide but didn't quite seem to match the medium either.

> > I hate to be a pest on this issue, but I never did get gnetlist to
> > handle the embedded nets correctly.  Not that I mind that much changing
> > the symbols to eliminate embedded power pins (I'll do whatever works)
> > but I don't know how else to handle the connections between the sheets
> > of the schematic.  I can't afford the time to keep manually correcting
> > the netlists.  I don't know what version of gnetlist I'm using, as the
> > usage message didn't seem to include version info.  But am I correct in
> > using the "-g PCB" flag?  I don't see what I'm doing wrong, but there
> > must be something.  When I netlist the modified SCH file you sent me
> > still does not consolidate the +5V and Vcc nets.  I get the following
> > result:
>
> Nets with identical names connect. In my version of gschem (20050329)
> you have to have one end of a net connected to a component in order for it
> to connect to other nets of the same name.
>
> The command I used to generate a netlist from your schematic was ---
>
> gsch2pcb --elements-dir   /YOUR_PCB_FOOTPRINT_DIR   YOUR_SCH_FILE_NAME

I did use the gsch2pcb command to  create my initial PCB file.  It's
really handy how it creates the "pile" of footprints, and you can just
drag them around to where you want them.  I haven't been able to get it
to generate a netlist for me, though.

I did finally figure it out, though.  I was using the parameter
"netname"; then I realized that in the footprints the embedded power
pins are labeled "net".  I changed my "netname" parameters to "net"; and
then gnetlist griped about the lack of a colon.  I finally realized that
you have to use the syntax "net:pin#" for gnetlist to work.  So I
finally got that working!  Hooray!

Vaughn T