For Gentoo we try to give users the freedom to suppress installation of
documentation and examples.

Up to 1.4.3 this was easy -- just do not install the docs and examples
packages.

For 1.6 we seem to have still --disable-gattrib, but currently I am not
sure which is the best way to suppress docs and examples (I have seen
that for gschem 1.5.4 a copy of full online documentation was
installed.)

Gentoo installs in a sandbox before copying to the live file system, so
I may try to remove these subdirectories from sandbox.

Cd into source subdirectories and calling make from there may work, but
this makes the ebuild script more complicated. And I think it will
destroy parallel build.

Patching the makefiles may be the best solution?

For docs we have --docdir=DIR, so --docdir=/dev/null may work?

Any suggestions?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski