On Apr 29, 2010, at 6:50 AM, Russell Shaw wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>  Very rare?!  I see 741s everywhere.  WTF?
>>>
>>>             -Dave
>>>
>> Sorry to bust the bubble, but he's right.  The 741 is well over 40 years
>> old, and its open loop first response pole, where the 6db per octave rolloff
>> begins, is a measly 10 hertz.
>
> The opamp is 1MHz unity BW. The higher the gain, the lower the first pole.
> An even better opamp would roll off at 1Hz.
>
>> Today there are $1.00 opamps with a working gain of 20 when feedback is
>> applied, with output slew rates of several thousand volts per second.  Thats
>> working bandwidth to several hundred megahertz at the sort of levels found
>> in either a modern broadcast audio mixer, or a production video switcher,
>> and either of those are driving 60 ohms for audio, or 75 for video.
>
> Those are video buffers. They have much less closed-loop gain and inferior
> offset voltages. They're also noisy and are very prone to oscillation with
> any stray capacitance or with certain feedback resistors.
>
>> Slew rate limits alone in the 741 means you can't honestly ask it for more
>> than a volt of output at full audio bandwidth.
>
> dV/dt = 2.pi.Vm
>
> at 20kHz and 1V/us, Vm=8Vpk
>
> quite ok for most apps below 5Vpk.
>
>> At 3 volts the slew rate distortion is so bad even these 75 year old ears
>> can hear it.  Even a TLO-72 or 74 can mop the floor with a 741, and output a
>> +- 15 volt rail to rail signal doing it, but into the old 600 ohm std load.
>
> LM741 has 1mV OS typical. TL072 is 3mV
>
> LM741 would be better than TL072 for control apps, and cheaper.

Yes, but there are much better devices for control apps than a 741, with its
high power consumption, high bias current, and poor voltage ranges for common
mode, output, and power.

Indeed, there are so many that it's a pain to choose. What should I replace the
obsolete OP220 with?

Stepping back, this discussion reinforces the point I was trying to make. We
frequently have newbies to gEDA complaining "why doesn't gEDA support my
common/standard needs straight out of installation?". But the universe here is
large, and nobody sees more than a bit of it. What you see as essential depends
on where you sit. When it comes to parts selection, Gene thinks audio/video
because that's what he works with. You seem to be cost sensitive. I'm a
scientific instrument designer: parts cost is usually a negligible part of the
budget, but noise and power are a big deal. We look at this stuff different
ways.

Moving from parts selection to the broader issues of EDA, we again see a great
deal of diversity. There really are no common/standard needs beyond the basics
that gEDA does pretty well. If you believe that there are, I think you need to
broaden your horizons.

gEDA's unique strength is that it supports that diversity well.

http://www.noqsi.com/
j...@noqsi.com