On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 09:49 -0700, Windell H. Oskay wrote:
> On May 7, 2010, at 9:40 AM, Felipe De la Puente Christen wrote:
>
> > I think there's not much to do to implement the service. In fact the
> > service is already there, what's lacking is a proper interface to let
> > 3rd party software get the search results without accesing the website
> > through a browser. It could even be there already in the case of
> > digikey, but I'm not that familiar with these search-bar plugins, and
> > haven't had the time to check the code(?) for info to implement the
> > searches.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I wonder how third-part component search services (like findchips.com and
> octopart) presently search the distributors.  Does anyone know?   There must
> be some sort of API that the distributors are providing them, at least
> privately.

Well, now that I see the url generated by the Digikey toolbar there's
not much to request so far.

This is a request for keyword=AT91SAM9G45 (leadfree, rohs and instock
activated)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?Keywords=at91sam9g45&site=us&lang=en&stock=1&pbfree=1&rohs=1&WT.mc_id=tbr_srch&WT.mc_ev=click

It's pretty clear.

Of course this is just an initial approach, and is far from a standard
search pattern for every supplier, but may be would be useful to get the
data parsing results from this king of searches.

By the way, here's the Geolocation API I mentioned before. Of course the
results are much simpler in this case since the answer is always the
same.

http://ipinfodb.com/ip_location_api.php

Best Regards, Felipe.

--