Are you footprints in the directories you indicate, or
     subdirectories
     of the directories you indicate?
     Are you running "gsch2pcb project" to use that project file?
     You might also have a file name that matches an M4 macro name.  I
     like
     to put a suffix on mine to prevent that, like "0603dj.fp" instead of
     "0603.fp".

   First off, thanks to all! I FINALLY got PCB to open a file, and an
   un-edited one straight from gsch2cpb! However, many elements have no,
   or at most only 1 rat line, so I still need to find what is wrong a fix
   those. I have never successfully added rat lines in PCB, I always had
   to uncheck drc and draw in the traces and then drc back on.
       DJ, thanks again for all the help. No, there are no subdirectories.
   I have an unsorted pile of downloaded and home made footprints in the
   package directory. And no they don't match M4 macros. Before I copied
   them all into /usr/share gsch2pcb reported them as unfindable, and
   therefore items not added to the layout. And yes, that is exactly the
   way I call gsch2pcb. I could not conceive of typing all the schematic
   files names by hand each time. I am REAL glad that there is a project
   file that does that for me!
       During the night, I had trouble finding the duplicate footprint
   symbols and so used gedit. When I next ran gsch2pcb I got a  'Tried to
   attach a non-text item as an attribute' error message multiple times.
   It appeared to be localised to ROV_2010_analog.sch, but I could not
   find exactly where or what it was complaining about. Perhaps I needed a
   Hex editor to see non-printing characters, Have the error message
   mention the last successful refdes in the error message would help
   localise the problem if it shows up again in the future. This time I
   copied a slightly older version of the file over and went back to
   trying to make the fixes through gschem and gattrib. I also tried using
   gnetlist with drc2 to locate the errors, but it always did a segfault
   before leaving any text on screen or in the file.
      It looks like geda symbol nmos-2 uses pinnumber S,G,D instead of
   1,2,3, and that might be causing some of my missing rat lines. I am
   just about to try changing the symbol file and see how much that fixes.
   Then the scary job of placing all those components, connectors, and
   traces!
   Mike