On Jun 29, 2010, at 10:16 AM, John Doty wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2010, at 10:56 PM, kai-martin knaak wrote:
>
>> John Doty wrote:
>>
>>> You're not thinking of reuse at the same level I am. Consider a Sallen-Key
>>> low pass filter. Why should we have to draw that more than once? Somebody
>>> could post a symbol along with a source schematic on gedasymbols, and then
>>> we could all use it.
>>
>> see the block paragraph in my section of gedasymbols. E.g:
>> http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/symbols/block/opamp_with_booster.sym
>
> I was thinking more of a regular schematic, attached to something like
> lowpass.sym with a source= attribute.
>

>> Currently, there is a catch, though:
>> The symbols are embedded in the schematic. The gschem GUI provides no way to
>> get them out of the schematic. The unembed action simply fails, if it can't
>> find a matching symbol in the local library. If it saved the symbols locally
>> instead, embedding would provide a powerful way to distribute reusable
>> circuits. The schematic itself knows best, which symbols it contains. No
>> need for a separate application to collect symbols. No packaging of files
>> required. Just a single *.sym file.
>
> I'm not fond of embedded symbols in most cases. I don't embed my .h files in
> my .c files either. But since we have embedded symbols, orthogonal design
> would suggest that they should be editable and extractable.
>

>>> But each application requires different component
>>> values, a different op amp, etc. So a file like:
>>>
>>> R1      value   51.1k
>>> U1      device  OP90
>>
>> IMHO, it is nice to dream about perfect solutions. But we need to get the
>> basics straight. The basics in this case is a way to distribute the symbols
>> needed for a particular circuit without involving a whole infrastructure. Be
>> it a data base, a whole library, or a set of design rules to adhere to.
>
> That isn't the issue I was trying to address here, and I don't find that
> terribly burdensome. It's not much different from managing a software
> project, with its include files, libraries, makefiles, etc. Indeed, many of
> my gEDA projects include software components anyway, so the tools to manage
> such collections of files are already in use.
>
> I simply do not understand why some find the "cram anything into one file"
> attractive for anything but a very small, "throwaway" project. Modularity is
> a good thing. Directories and files are excellent tools for organizing
> modules.

It is useful for archival purposes as well.
If I want to share a design with the community in it's finished state, then I
want it to be in a nice small bundle.
but when creating and working on it i want it as modular as possible.

>> That said, it looks like your are talking about using an editor for the the
>> job gattrib does?
>
> No. gattrib is a "touch-up brush", good for manually fixing little problems,
> but not an effective tool of automation.
>
>> That would be neat. Even better would be, if the file were
>> in spread sheet format. Seems to me, gattrib has a hard time reinventing the
>> spread sheet GUI wheel. The result feels pretty awkward when compared to
>> gnumeric, oocalc and the like.
>
> Spreadsheets are a slick trap: easy to use, but massive time wasters.
> Occasionally, a spreadsheet is effective for a small, simple problem, but
> mostly see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fritterware.
>

>> How about this: Use the gschem parser of gattrib to synthesize an
>> intermediate file in comma separated spread sheet format. Pipe this file to
>> gnumeric/oocalc/whatever. The user manipulate values and attributes and
>> saves.
>
> Violates the ideal flow sources->data products.
>
>> The non GUI gattrib application detects the changes and writes them
>> back to the original gschem file.
>
> No. Don't corrupt your source file. When you want to annotate the schematic
> with specific parameters (component values, slots, etc.) move *forward* to
> that annotated file. Keep the source clean for reuse. Keep the parameter
> source around so that make can regenerate the annotated product.

Would a cleared way be to express the source schematics as templates?

>> I haven't inspected the code yet. But I'd
>> expect the this rewrite back-end to be already there in the gattrib source.
>> If a user feels like not using a spread sheet application he or she can use
>> scripting to manipulate the intermediate file as well.
>
> Better simply to generate the parameter file with a script straight up. For
> the Sallen-Key example, have a script that converts frequency, Q, and
> impedance to component values.

I'd like this script to have an interface that allows it to be called from
gschem or other applications.