On Monday, August 13, 2012 07:44:28 PM Omari Stephens wrote:
> On 08/13/2012 06:10 PM, Vladimir Nadvornik wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now, after 1.1 release it is time to focus on next development.
> >
> > As I wrote earlier, the next release will be 2.0. The main change will
> > be Gtk3 port, which I have mostly done.
> >
> > I also want to implement this:
> >
> > - GPU based scaling and color management with libclutter
>
> libclutter?  color management?
>
> Are you referring to this?
> http://developer.gnome.org/clutter/1.9/clutter-Colors.html

I am referring to this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/lcms-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02326.html

I think that the recent libclutter has all the required functionality to do
this with high-level API.

> The thing that jumps out to me is that the 8-bit color assumption is
> baked in.  Given that GIMP master already supports arbitrary-bit-depth
> images (not release-ready, yet, but it definitely works), it seems we
> should be preparing for an onslaught of 16-bit linear TIFFs and PNGs.
>
> As a photographer, I know there are lots of situations where 8-bit
> formats killed me for banding in large gradient areas (imagine a sunset
> in grayscale).

IMHO for a viewer it is enough to use 8bit. I don't think it is possible to
display more than 8bit with common hardware.

16bit is necessary for editing.

> (Naive statement) I'd personally like to see us use babl to support
> arbitrary color formats.  To be explicitly clear, I don't know what we
> do or don't support today, and I also don't know how babl might affect
> our performance.  Just wanted to put that out there, though.

The main problem is that Geeqie uses GdkPixbuf internally, which is only 8bit.
It also uses scalling functions from Gdk which operate on Pixbuf. So changing
to 16bit would require replacing almost everything.

Vladimir