Hi Folks,

Am Sa den 24. Dez 2016 um 15:43 schrieb Ian Zimmerman:
> I use Emacs.

I do not know any of emacs and how to customize it depending on the
file/projects.

I would even not voluntary start emacs. ;-)

> - I strongly prefer spaces only indentation

That could be agreed with, I think.

> - I too prefer K&R ish style (opening brace after keyword on the same
>   line)

See my follow up mail. I muddled the two.

> - I think it's helpful to code function declarations and calls like this:
>
> int
> foo_func (long arg)
> {
>     call_to_bar(arg);
> }

That's what I meat. Most often it is really important to have the
opening and closing braced on the same column.

>   I mean in particular the hoisting of the return type on its own line,

That I don't need but have no oportunity against.

> - I am actually pretty religious about keeping to 80 chars per line.

When it comes to religious matter with styles I learned from many
projects that this is mostly wrong and could even kill projects.

As I said, I do not like this 80 column limit. It makes no sense anymore
and I had troubles several times with intermixing with editor line
breaks.

So better let the editor do the (virtual) breaks/wraps.

Am Sa den 24. Dez 2016 um 19:53 schrieb Omari Stephens:
> I agree with everything you just said.  But my terminal is 190 columns
> wide, and when I see lines wrapping just because the author didn't
> bother to put a single newline in there, it's a problem.

That could be..

> I think we could easily say "no lines longer than 160 chars" without
> incurring most of the downsides that you're bringing up.

That might be a good compromise. However, I would rather see that as
"soft" limit.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                                       http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <kl...@ethgen.ch>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C