Hi Victor,

(after 2 crashes of mail programs and browsers, I hope this time I will be
able to send this mail)

There is no need to check all patches - let me explain. The project
consists of two parts: the front-runners (learning in a group) and the rest
(people learning from the group). The front-runners will pick a filter,
then all are going to port it to OpenCL - each version will be discussed
with the group and tested on the machines. By combining all that has been
learned, the kernel with the best results will result in a single patch. We
mostly need your help with the first few patches. People who find
improvements after the first path, first have to do a list of checks before
sending a patch.

The people who have done the class successfully, can focus on the harder
problems you wrote down. When we get to that point, what I ask from you is
to make the descriptions of the 4 points.

StreamComputing will help out too, if time permits - our first focus is to
guide the front-runners. We might be most useful in benchmarking the
various kernels on our own servers - what build-system do you use, by the
way? Buildbot.net?

Yes, if you agree that I setup this OpenCL-learning-project for GEGL, a
tutorial would be the best help to get people started. I saw the API is
quite useful and can be used to create a small program that reads an image
and kernel, and writes an image, checks error-level and shows the time the
kernel took. Later interactive mode can be added, or to benchmark on a
directory of images.

Yes, I've checked a few filters. Will be good examples. We do need to
profile&benchmark them, to see if they can be made faster before people use
it to learn.

Cheers,
Vincent

On 31 July 2015 at 20:18, Victor Oliveira <victormath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vincent! Welcome to the GEGL list.
>
> You can refer to http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Porting_filters_to_GEGL
> for the list of filters in GIMP and GEGL that have been ported.
>
> Being honest I don't think there's enough people here with OpenCL
> background to review that many patches! So, a great way of helping out with
> the OpenCL support is to get involved with the community, build knowledge
> of the GEGL codebase and help out not only with the OpenCL bits but also
> infrastructure work. We've had people come and go that implement filters
> but as important as that is to keep engaged and be sure it keeps working.
>
> So, personally, what I think it's the best way to get OpenCL out there for
> users which I'd do myself if I had the time {in order of importance}:
>
> 1) Verify that currently implemented filters produce correct results and
> are faster than CPU. We are in need of a systematic verification of
> correctness of all filters, with different test images cases.
> 2) Stress test of the GPU code. What happens if you open another
> application that steals our GPU memory?
> 3) GPU profiling at application-level? Are we doing something stupid so
> that there's bubbles in our GPU pipeline?
> 4) Work with the GIMP team to minimize the tilling issue.
>
> As I said, unfortunately I don't have the time to actually code new stuff
> but I'd extremely interested in helping out to have a simple tutorial that
> could bring new people to the project, what you have in mind?
>
> By the way, have you given a look at this for an example of pixelwise
> filter?
>

> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gegl/tree/operations/common/brightness-contrast.c
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gegl/tree/opencl/brightness-contrast.cl
>
> We can keep discussing here ideas.
>
> Regards,
> Victor
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Vincent Hindriksen <
> vinc...@streamcomputing.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You might assume I will ask about the current state of OpenCL, but my
>> question is different. I want to help to get OpenCL support get done.
>>
>> In short I want a group of beginners try to implement the same filter in
>> OpenCL, learning together. There will be support for them, so eventually
>> they create a correct and fast kernel. And yes, there is serious demand for
>> this. All I need from you is to help me develop a tutorial to get from zero
>> to the first kernel, while learning the basics of OpenCL. I think that we
>> can do a filter per week, while improvements will keep coming because of a
>> high-score list.
>>
>> Is there somebody I can talk to about this? Or can we discuss it here?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Vincent

 V.G.Hindriksen MSc., CEO
 StreamComputing BV - http://www.streamcomputing.eu
 Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands, Europe
 Cell: +31 6 45400456
NEW PHONE NUMBER: +31 854865760
 KvK-number (Chamber of Commerce): 61901873
 Rabo Bank (IBAN/SEPA): NL89RABO0113885571 - BIC: RABONL2U
 OpenCL Newsletter: http://bit.ly/OpenCLnewsletter
 OpenCL Twitter   : http://twitter.com/StreamComputing
 OpenCL Blog      : http://www.streamcomputing.eu/blog