Pencerahan bagi mereka yang selalu menganggap kemakmuran dan ketenangan hidup
di Belanda dan Eropa sebagai sesuatu yang dianggap sudah tercapai dan akan
langgeng..

Why we strike: on the education strike in the Netherlands

"We are not striking to fill our pockets. But to demand an end to the bossing
around of our universities by politicians and bureaucrats."
Enzo RossiNicholas Vrousalis13 March 2019Students support their teachers
striking in Denver, February, 2019. | Flickr. Kari. Some rights reserved.

The Dutch education sector is in turmoil, once again. Four years after the
student occupations that began in Amsterdam and swept the whole country, the
totality of teachers in the Netherlands is due to strike, for the first time
ever, on March 15. This sector-wide strike follows in the wake of a wave of
successful teachers’ strikes in the United States. The strike will be a loud
opening salvo; a powerful broadside will follow if the government doesn’t
listen.

So what’s wrong with Dutch education? The answer can be found in the policy mix
pursued by successive Dutch governments, contriving to simulate an
austerity-driven market mechanism in the public sector. Universities and
schools are encouraged to compete against each other for students and monies,
under emaciated budgets, on the basis of dubious benchmarks and targets. The
policy has raised the student/staff ratio in the Netherlands to one among the
highest in the OECD – higher than the US, Greece and Italy; the ratio is
approaching 20 in the main research universities..

These pathologies are consequences of diminishing funding per student (68% more
university students since 2000, and -25% in government funding per student)
creeping micromanagement of teaching and research, and growing authoritarianism
from management – all made possible, indeed foisted on university teachers and
researchers, by government policy.

We are therefore striking to demand an end to the bossing around of our
universities by politicians and bureaucrats. We are striking to demand the
cancellation of the latest budget cuts, and the restoration of real funding
levels to those of the year 2000.

We are not striking to fill our pockets. Rather, we are striking to pay for an
increase in staff numbers that will improve the student/staff ratio; to provide
better infrastructure for our students; to reduce the workload and frequency of
burnouts among our colleagues; to improve our institutional capacities for
self-government; and to improve the quality of Dutch education.

We are also striking to protest against the creeping mechanisms of market
simulation and commercialization in education. We are striking to contest the
incessant drive to turn schools and universities into supermarkets, with an
unelected – and unaccountable – board of directors at the top, and a hapless
army of consumers at the bottom. We are opposed to the opacity and
authoritarianism at the helm of Dutch education, to the hierarchies that the
drive to privatization inevitably creates, and to the recent cuts in the
humanities that threaten to destroy institutional structures of research and
teaching it took decades to create.

Any benchmarking, targets and managerial indices that impinge on academic
development, teacher-student relations, or inter-university relations violate
the freedom and independence of educational institutions. This does not mean
that teaching and research should not be evaluated. All it means is that, if
teaching and research are to be evaluated, then evaluation must be based on
their content alone, not on spurious market-mimicking metrics. For all its
flaws, only the institution of peer-review can evaluate academic work for what
it is.

We are therefore striking for respect: respect for the necessity of a
well-funded educational system; respect for our autonomy as institutions of
teaching and learning; respect for education as a precondition for a democratic
society. The American teachers’ strikes show that we can win.

  • [GELORA45] Why we strike... Tatiana Lukman jetaimemuc...@yahoo.com [GELORA45]

Kirim email ke