https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/26/west-papua-thousands-expected-at-fresh-protests-after-week-of-violence
West Papua: thousands take to streets after week of violence

*Protesters decry racism and call for self-determination one week after
violence flared*

*Kate Lamb* <https://www.theguardian.com/profile/kate-lamb>* in Jayapura*

Mon 26 Aug 2019 11.36 BSTFirst published on Mon 26 Aug 2019 03.44 BST

   -

 Activists stage a protest supporting West Papua’s call for independence
from Indonesia on 22 August. Further protests were planned for Monday.
Photograph: Bagus Indahono/EPA

Thousands of protesters have taken to the streets in highland areas of West
Papua, one week after violent demonstrations
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/22/west-papua-protests-indonesia-deploys-1000-soldiers-to-quell-unrest>
flared
across Indonesia’s easternmost provinces, leaving one dead and dozens
injured.

An anti-racist solidarity protest drew thousands of people in Dogiyai
region, where marchers decried racism and called for determination,
according to local reporter at the scene. Schools in Dogiyai were closed in
anticipation of the rally with students joining the action, the reporter
said.

In Wamena, the protest organiser Dominikis Surabat said a planned rally
went ahead peacefully, with thousands joining. Protesters called for Papuan
students to “return to the motherland” so they would be free of racist
insults from Indonesia <https://www.theguardian.com/world/indonesia>, he
said.

Activists had expected thousands to join protests on Monday as the
population of the highland areas is largely comprised of indigenous
Papuans, compared with coastal towns such as Jayapura, where migrants from
across Indonesia make up half of the population.
West Papua protests: Indonesia deploys 1,000 soldiers to quell unrest, cuts
internet

*Read more*

The planned action followed a week of rolling and in some cases violent
demonstrations across West Papua
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/west-papua>, prompted by an incident in
the Javanese city of Surabaya, where military officers and nationalist
militia allegedly taunted Papuans with racist slurs, calling them
“monkeys”, “pigs” and “dogs”.

Footage of the incident quickly went viral and has caused widespread anger
across West Papua, culminating in mass protests and renewed calls for
independence.

In Jayapura, Papuans who spoke to the Guardian were furious, saying they
had long been discriminated against and treated as second-class citizens.
Victor Yeimo, a pro-independence figure, said people were angry not “just
because they call us monkeys, but because they [Indonesia] treat us like
animals”.

At church services in the hills of Sentani on Sunday morning, pastors gave
impassioned sermons denouncing racism they said Papuans had long endured,
while across Jayapura banners were put up calling for racist actions to be
rejected.

Prominent pro-independence figures in Papua said the Surabaya incident
opened up historical wounds that had festered since the province was
brought under Indonesian control in 1969.

 A police officer raises his rifle as a local market burns during a protest
in Fakfak in Papua province, Indonesia, on 21 August. Photograph:
Beawiharta/AP

An Indonesian government clampdown on the internet in the region has
continued. A spokesperson for the Papua police, Ahmad Kamal, told the
Guardian that internet services would continue to be limited for another
week to prevent the spread of “fake news”.

When protests erupted in Jayapura last Monday, the government slowed
internet
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/23/west-papua-indonesia-claims-province-has-returned-to-normal-amid-internet-blackout>
speeds.
Data services were cut completely by Wednesday.
Why are there violent clashes in Papua and West Papua?

*Read more*

Markus Haluk, from the United Movement for the Liberation of West Papua,
said the internet shutdown was “part of the military operation because the
Indonesian military always finds a way to isolate Papua and stop Papuan
voices being shared with the world”.

Local journalists have decried the blackout, saying it has made it
increasingly difficult to verify information in the field at a critical
time, while thousands signed a petition calling for services to be restored..

 An Indonesian activist takes part in a rally in Jakarta demanding the
government to unblock internet. Photograph: Dasril Roszandi/AFP/Getty Images

“Everything is down,” said Victor Mambor, the editor of Tabloid Jubi. “Many
people are asking me about what is happening in Papua because they cannot
get information. The internet is now only available in two places, Hotel
Horizon and the Aston.”

At the news website Suara Papua, its editor, Arnold Belau, said internet
services at its offices were totally severed on Sunday. “The state’s policy
of blocking the internet is very damaging for us since Suara Papua is an
online media so we rely on the internet,” he said, adding that at least 20
online media outlets in Jayapura were effected.

Amid the shutdown police have confirmed that one man was killed in an armed
clash between pro-independence fighters and security personnel in Wamena on
Friday.

Activists claim dozens have also been injured but police have disputed
this, calling the information a “hoax”.

*Since you’re here…*

… we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading and supporting The
Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And
unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us
to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or
what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as
we do.

The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from
the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the
influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a
necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to
accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.

Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own
opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias
and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can
give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and
rigorously challenge those in power.

We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our
openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader
contribution, big or small, is so valuable.

Kirim email ke