I think 4.6 is a good target for the moment.

Ali

On 29.05.2014 13:05, Steve Reinhardt via gem5-dev wrote:

> Sounds good to me. I'm still running Ubuntu 12.04 on my home machine,
> which has 4.6, so I wouldn't want to push any further than that though.
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Anthony Gutierrez via gem5-dev <
> gem5-dev@gem5.org> wrote:
> I strongly support this. Anthony Gutierrez
> http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~atgutier [1] On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:59 AM,
> Andreas Hansson via gem5-dev < gem5-dev@gem5.org> wrote: Hi all, What are
> your thoughts on bumping the gcc requirement from 4.4 to 4.6? From a
> syntactic sugar point of view this means e.g. range-based for loops and
> lambdas (and minor things like constant nullexpr). Most importantly, from a
> functionality point of view it means fully functional shared_ptr and
> unique_ptr. In theory these are already there in 4.4, but the standard
> library implementation is unfortunately broken. The shared_ptr would allow us
> to completely remove the RefCountingPtr (which is ~8% of the run-time for
> atomic linux boot). It also means things like std::bind would work properly
> which should make Nate happy :-). gcc 4.6 and above has been shipping with
> most distros for quite some years, and in worst case it should be fairly easy
> to get on older systems. Ideas, suggestions, thoughts? Is 4.
 6
ambitious enough? Thanks, Andreas -- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this
email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not
disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or
copy the information in any medium. Thank you. ARM Limited, Registered office
110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company
No: 2557590 ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge
CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782

Links:
------
[1] http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~atgutier