On Sun, 1 Feb 2015, Andreas Hansson wrote:

Hi Nilay,

I think the “DMA” bit of this tester was broken and rather pointless. In
essence the MemTest is only fit for testing false sharing, and that is
what it now does. I do not quite understand what a DMA has to do with any
of that.

Separately we will now have a tester that actually tests actual sharing,
and does so using larger chunks of data being touched (in units of whole
cache lines). I think this is a much more sensible strategy.

What is the value of the “DMA” bit in MemTest and why does it make sense
to keep it there?

DMA controller is also a party in the memory system. If a ruby protocol provides a DMA controller, then it also needs to be tested for correctness. I think we had it there so that one can choose whether or not to test the DMA controller.

--
Nilay