This is an interesting feature if we could have in gem5. Actually, we have
done the same work in enabling parallel/distributed simulation of a cluster
using gem5. Please refer to a recently published paper on this for more
information:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=7114236&filter%3DAND%28p_IS_Number%3A4357966%29

I'll submit our patch to review-board soon. Hopefully we can consolidate
the work and integrate the best of both works into gem5.

Thanks,
Mohammad