Hi all,

Some more follow up. Sorry that this is going so slowly.

Sean just did a pretty major reworking of the main library. See
https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/4421. I'll let him address Andreas's
questions below. I think we're pretty close to having all three.

I would really like to get this pushed in ASAP so someone (me, a student,
or others in the community) can start migrating all of the current tests
over to the new framework.

As a quick preview, this is what the output looks like now.

> cd tests
> ./main.py run
Running the new gem5 testing script.
For more information see TESTING.md.
To see details as the testing scripts are running, use the option -v, -vv,
or -vvv
======================================================================================================================
Discovered 0 tests and 0 suites in /home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/tests/tests.py
Discovered 30 tests and 15 suites in
/home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/tests/gem5/hello_se/test_hello_se.py
Discovered 6 tests and 3 suites in
/home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/tests/gem5/m5_util/test_exit.py
Discovered 21 tests and 21 suites in
/home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/tests/gem5/test_build/test_build.py
... <a few errors while we are transitioning>
======================================================================================================================
Running Tests from 9 suites
Results will be stored in /home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/tests/.testing-results
======================================================================================================================
Building the following targets. This may take a while.
/home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/build/RISCV/gem5.opt,
/home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/build/X86/gem5.opt,
/home/jlp/Code/gem5/gem5/build/ARM/gem5.opt
You may want to run with only a single ISA(--isa=), use --skip-build, or
use 'retest'.
Test: testhello64-static-X86-opt Passed
Test: testhello64-static-X86-opt-MatchStdoutNoPerf Passed
Test: testhello64-dynamic-X86-opt Passed
Test: testhello64-dynamic-X86-opt-MatchStdoutNoPerf Passed
Test: testhello32-static-X86-opt Passed
Test: testhello32-static-X86-opt-MatchStdoutNoPerf Passed
Test: testhello64-static-ARM-opt Passed
Test: testhello64-static-ARM-opt-MatchStdoutNoPerf Passed
Test: testhello32-static-ARM-opt Passed
Test: testhello32-static-ARM-opt-MatchStdoutNoPerf Passed
Test: m5_exit_test-X86-opt Passed
Test: m5_exit_test-X86-opt-MatchRegex Passed
Test: build-X86-opt Passed
Test: build-RISCV-opt Passed
Test: build-ARM-opt Passed

Cheers,