For the record, I tried out a custom allocator for requests. I measured how
long it took to run twolf smred on ARM/gem5.opt with no modification, with
a custom allocator that keeps around all deleted requests for reuse, and
one that only kept around one. I was not able to measure any consistent
improvement in performance with the custom allocator.

Gabe