Hi Gabe,

one of the main reasons for DMI is to speedup simulations, similar to the
temporal decoupling in TLM LT or debug transport in order to make the
boot-loading. AFAIK DMI is mainly used in virtual platforms that target
software development and not hardware architecture design space explorations,
because you skip interconnects, caches etc. In commercial tools you can just
switch on or switch off DMI and therefore you can have a nice trade-off between
speed and accuracy by using the same models.

Since gem5 is mainly there for computer-system architecture research, I’m not
sure if the DMI feature is really required. From a TLM2 perspective, even if a
TLM target model included in gem5 offers DMI, the gem5 core model (initiator)
does not have to use it, right? Do you have any concrete use case where you
could exploit DMI?

For KVM: maybe somebody with KVM experience should comment that.

Best regards,
Matthias