Ciro and Andrea,

I appreciate both of your concerns. My reason for wanting to have a procedure
for abandoning changes is, right now, we have close to 250 open changes on
Gerrit, about 50 of which have not been updated in the last year. This feels,
to me, to be a little bit unmanageable and will only get worse without
guidelines for managing it. I doubt anything past the most recent top 50
changes gets much attention by most reviewers/maintainers, which is a real
shame because some stuff outside this is  still of use to the project --- it's
just lost in a set of changes no one knows how to properly handle right now.
I'd like to get towards a state where the set of open changes is firmly road to
being merged. At the end of the day, if we don't have a policy of dealing with
changes that are no longer being worked on (and no one wishes to take ownership
of), what are we to do when we have 500 open changes, or even 1000? How is a
reviewer to know where best to invest their time?

Abandoning a change should always be the last step, but I think after a month
of inactivity, "pinging" the original contributor is acceptable and giving them
two weeks to respond is fair. Even if the contributor messages back to say
"I'll get back to this at a later date"; that's an acceptable acknowledgement
of interest for us to keep the change and it should thereby remain open. It
should be stated, this won't be an automated process. Reviewers are free to
leave things open for longer if they wish. Reviewers are free to block an
abandonment if the change is something they are personally interested in (I'll
update the guidelines to state this is possible). The main question we're
trying to ask is "Does anyone care about this change anymore?" if the answer is
no, then why keep it open?

Also, abandoning a change is not the same as deletion. You can still view
abandoned changes if you wish. It's not "gone", it's just no longer in the set
of changes the project is actively working on. It would not be too much hassle
for someone to resurrect an abandoned change if they wish.

Kind regards,
Bobby

PS: More active discussion on these guidelines is occurring on Gerrit:
https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/public/gem5/+/21419

--
Dr. Bobby R. Bruce
Room 2236,