My ye-olde account from back when I was in grad school has enough
permission to edit the page, so I made the edit. The problem was it was
formatted as an internal link in the markup, but it was an external link.
The internal links use a | to separate the target and the text, while
external links use a space. The | and the first word of the text got
grouped with the URL, making it point to the wrong place. That's also why
there were stray []s around the link. External links only have single []
while internal ones have double [[]]. The extras just ended up as text on
the page.

Gabe