Hi devs,

A lot has been said and it is difficult to address most of the interesting
opinions that have been raised throughout the conversation.
In general I am a moderate fan of releases and I strongly agree with Daniel's
story:

There is a lot of discussion about when users should be updating their gem5
versions, but how many even want to update? "You don't change a winning team"
is something that I've heard a lot from teachers and colleagues during my
former studies: why would you risk updating and breaking something, or reducing
performance improvements? Throughout the years I've seen that students (me
included) tend not to update anything (OS, compiler, software being used) until
their work is done out of fear of having to reconfigure/fix things.

I got asked several times which stable version should someone use. It is very
weird and scary for a user who's willing to rebase his work to get a commit Id
as an answer.
Especially if there is no bug-fixing happening on a commitId. In fact, if you
don't backport bug fixes, the entire concept of stableness is flawed, since you
might discover a new
bug later on and you are basically forcing a USER (not an active developer) to
rebase his work in order to integrate the bug.
(A user could cherry-pick the commit on his own, but first he needs to be aware
that a specific commit is fixing his problem)

I think we all agree that having a linear chunck of untagged and unbranched
commits makes it difficult for common users to understand what they are getting
when they rebase their work. It is not for some of us maybe, spending most of
our engineering time reviewing patches and contributing to gerrit. I could more
or less tell what's the difference in the simulator
between today's gem5 and last month gem5, but that doesn't apply to the rest of
the people.

Giacomo