So, is this something *inside* the simulation which needs to be compiled
with a particular version of gcc, or is it a part of the simulator itself?
I was imagining the former, but if it's the later I see why it's
problematic.

How tightly coupled is this ROCm code base? Is it just a matter of updating
weird gcc-isms in the code, or does it (for instance) actually use gcc
machinery and need literal porting to a different version of that machinery?

Gabe