Ok, so I did look into this today and didn't find anything. On my desktop
machine the difference in running the pre-submit tests from the stable
branch and develop branch (including building the binaries) was only 10
minutes so we've really not done anything to increase the build/test times
to a significant extent. My running theory is Kokoro was running slower
(??? I have no idea what Kokoro is actually doing or running on behind the
scenes so I don't know whether that makes sense, but I cannot think of any
other explanation). I don't like the solution, but I've submitted a patch
to increase the timeout to 7 hours which should stop this timeout event
from happening: https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/public/gem5/+/48443

I still haven't looked into the gem5 error yet but I'm pretty confident
this shouldn't interfere with the presubmit validation.

--
Dr. Bobby R. Bruce
Room 3050,

web: https://www.bobbybruce.net