Hello,

I am currently working on introducing a change to the way stats output
within gem5.  Currently, certain stats output under different names
depending on the CPU, such as insts in the O3 CPU versus numInsts in the
Simple CPU. Additionally, other stats only output in certain CPUs when they
may be useful to all CPUs, such as cpi and ipc only outputting in Minor
CPU.

This change aims to unify stats with similar names, as well as move stats
from certain CPUs that are more generally relevant into the Base CPU
output.  However, doing this interrupts the way that one can parse the
stats.txt output from running tests, so I wanted feedback on the way that
this change is being implemented in order to make sure certain stats
weren't accidentally dropped, naming conventions weren't unclear, values
weren't incorrectly outputted and so on.

Below, I've attached links to the Jira Issue addressing this change, as
well as a link to the beginning of this change set.  Within the Jira Issue,
I have links to a mapping of all the old stats names, how they would be
represented after these changes go through, and their origin CPU.  In
addition, I've uploaded the stats outputs from running a variety of CPU and
Ubuntu boot tests within gem5 before and after these changes for
comparison.

In addition, this change is split into two halves: introducing the new
stats groups to use going forward (FetchCPUStats, ExecuteCPUStats,
CommitCPUStats) in the first half and removing the old stats that have been
moved to new locations in the second half.  I did this so that anyone
interested in using diff to observe the changes could have a version of
stats.txt before the changes, one with both the old and new stats all in
one file, and finally a version with just the changes made.  Similarly, the
Jira post contains versions of the CPU and Ubuntu boot tests from each of
these changes in folders named before-stats, middle-stats, and
after-stats.  Hopefully, this should make it easier for anyone who wanted
to take a closer look at how these changes were incorporated.

Jira Issue: https://gem5.atlassian.net/browse/GEM5-1304
Gerrit Changes: https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/public/gem5/+/69097

I would appreciate any feedback on this, so we can make sure this change
isn't extremely disruptive to the way stats are used within gem5.  Thank
you for all the help, and if you had any questions regarding these changes
please let me know!

Best,
Melissa Jost