I've read the datasheet and I know how the device works, I'm just trying to figure out what the implementation is doing to emulate it. There is a base clock that works at some weird frequency which I think I read was used as a carrier for TV from back when TVs were used as monitors. The question is whether the interval set as a parameter is supposed to emulate this frequency in ticks, aka a clock pulse, or if it's supposed to be the periodic interrupt signal from the timer finishing counting. In the first case, if an event gets rescheduled every input clock, that's very inefficient and something like the timer registers in Alpha/SPARC would be better. I don't think this is the case. In the later, basically the registers are so many blinky lights, and there's really just a periodic interrupt being scheduled. That's fine, if a little simplistic (not necessarily a bad thing), but I don't know if it's an accurate enough model for x86 or for kernels that do more complicated things with it.

The question I really wanted to ask was if and what to do to increase the fidelity of the model by making the device actually interrupt according to how it's programmed. That's better from a correct functionality perspective, but it would possibly make things harder if you wanted to directly sweep the frequency or something. I imagine that wouldn't be very likely and you might, although I haven't actually looked, be able to do that with a kernel parameter. I didn't bring that up yet because I wanted to clear up any minor misunderstandings of what was already going on in the code before I started discussing new ways to mangle it.

Gabe

Ali Saidi wrote:
I imagine it's both, and implementation dependent if an interrupt occurs when the PIT timer expires, but it's been a long time. I imagine the datasheet for at 8254 timer would be a good place to start.

Ali