On Jun 15, 2008, at 12:12 PM, nathan binkert wrote:

>> I think we might want to amend the policy to all regression tests
>> passing and 1 week going by or something. I haven't even pulled the
>> repository and tested a single thing yet and the regressions as they
>> currently stand don't cover everything.
>
> My concern with a 1 week policy is that who is going to do the update
> then?  How would this work?  we commit last week's successful
> regression before we run this week's?  How do we bail out?  I'll work
> on making the regression framework better so we can get more coverage
> so it is more reliable.
I don't know exactly how it should work, hence the discussion. Perhaps
it's the job of the committer to pull their changeset into the stable
repository a week after it's been committed. It would be rather easy
to write a script that e-mailed the committer reminding them.

> I did compile all targets on several machines and ran regressions.
> All of my code has also been tested by me and others at HP for months.
Yea, my concern isn't this particular change set, but the policy in
general. I don't think that committing code and midnight, having
regressions run and 3 am, and the that code getting pushed to the
"stable" repository at 8 am is going to keep the stable repository
stable. It seems like there must be some amount of use by people other
than the committer to verify that a change didn't break a feature that
the committer doesn't use, but others may.

Ali