I think Gabe sums it up pretty nicely.  Another way to phrase the same idea
is that m5-dev is really for m5 *infrastructure* development.

I hadn't understood before why sometimes we get "user" questions on m5-dev,
but Javier's explanation makes sense.  Unlike most open-source projects, I
think it's pretty rare that anyone using m5 for architecture research would
be able to get anything useful done without hacking on the code; if m5
already implements your idea, then that's a sign that your research isn't
very novel.  I think most people realize that, but occasionally we get an
email that's basically asking "where's the --isca-paper option?".

Steve