> At some point in the past we were having trouble with that though, and
> as a workaround we started doing the
> restore-into-simple-cpu-for-one-cycle thing, and we've never gone back
> to revisit it.  If you think about it, life would be easier if you
> didn't have to construct this ugly two-headed monster of a config just
> to restore from a checkpoint.

On a related "big picture" note, I think there are simulation features that
might be cool (or work more seamlessly) if we got "general" checkpointing
for any model working. I can imagine a situation where you use the SimpleCPU
model to fast forward to a interesting simulation point, use a detailed
model for awhile, then switch back to the SimpleCPU model and so on/so forth
(e.g. I only want to run detailed execution on the interrupt handlers).

>From this discussion, I assume if I wanted to do that I would need to
constantly set up the "restore-into-simple-cpu-for-one-cycle thing" for
every simple->detailed and detailed->simple switch of CPUs.

--
- Korey