You're right that it could be done either way.  I think the rationale
is that this way you don't need to search a list to see if your
address is on it.  If the common case is that there are no locked
blocks in the entire cache though then that's not a big deal since the
list will be empty anyway.  I can't think of any other reason.

Steve