Hi All,

I have few queries regarding the regression tests for X86.

(1) I could build the x86 in FS mode for AtomicSimpleCPU, O3CPU and
SimpleTimingCPU mode (I am using a bunch of x86-specific patches from
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~vince/projects/m5/m5_x86_64_se_status.html).
I guess that the pre-compiled linux kernel (that can be downloaded
from M5 site) was complied for alpha arch only. So I actually
downloaded the linux-dist tarball from M5 site for x86 build. This
tarball has a .config.M5 that can be used for compiling the kernel,
but that .config.m5 is ALPHA-specific.

So in order to compile the linux for x86, I used the config of my
native linux machine kernel as a basis for our x86 config kernel and
got the vmlinux for x86. Following commands are used for that:-

cp /boot/config ./.config
make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-v2.6.27 kernel_image
kernel_headers

I used that vmliux for X86_FS build and did not get any error during
the build process.

So my query is, are there any x86-specific patches (configurations)
that I should have considered for compiling the linux kernel for x86.

(2)Then I tried to test that X86_FS m5.opt using regression tests. All
the several test programs present for the regression tests have
config.ini files only for alpha in m5-dev tarball, but they don't have
the same for X86. But using the following command, I can generate
those x86-specific config-ini for the test-programs used in FS mode
regression.

build/X86_FS/m5.opt -re configs/example/fs.py
--cmd=tests/test-progs/<test program name>/bin/x86/<test program
binary>

But the problem is that the m5-dev tarball (m5/tests/test-progs/*)
does not have the test program binaries  (m5/tests/quick/*) (for
example, 10.linux-boot,80.netperf-stream,50.memtest etc) except hello
(which is not used for FS mode regression). So I could not generate
the config.ini for x86 in order to run the regression tests.

So my query is, have anyone worked on the X86 regression tests / faced
the same problem? Before I use the x86_FS.opt for SPEC2000/2006
benchmarks, I want that to pass the regression tests first.

Thanks and Regards,

Dibakar Gope
Texas A&M University