> What's the need of having reference counting? And more specifically, why do
> we need message going into ruby to be reference counted?

Reference counting is a garbage collection strategy.  It also happens
to be one that is easily used in C++.  The specific reason why we use
reference counting in a few places is because it can some times be
difficult to keep track of an object and know when to delete it.  For
example, if you fire off a message into the memory system, who is
responsible for deleting it?  There are many different paths that a
message could take and potentially many different endpoints where a
message could be finished.  With reference counting, when the last
reference is given up, the object is automatically destroyed.  For
more info, I suggest wikipedia or google.

  Nate