On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Gabriel Michael Black wrote:

Quoting Nilay Vaish <ni...@cs.wisc.edu>:

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Gabriel Michael Black wrote:

When you say this is portable, what do you mean? Portable between compilers? We usually use gcc, but we have at least partial support for other compilers. I think this is necessary on some platforms.

Gabe

I would still root for using popcount() builtin available with GCC.

--
Nilay

Between different versions of gcc. Do we actually test whether the code compiles using other compilers?

--
Nilay

I don't know if we actively test it, but it worked at one time. Ali did some work on that, I think to get it to build with sun's compiler back when he was doing the SPARC full system support. It would be a good idea not to bake in any dependence on gcc.

Gabe

I agree with you. If we can avoid dependence on a compiler, we certainly should.

--
Nilay