Yes, if you don't modify the dtb, the Linux kernel won't see the
change in the number of CPUs change, this can be verified with cat
/proc/cpuinfo.

You can modify the dtb directly by first converting it to dts human
readable form:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14000736/tool-to-visualize-the-device-tree-file-dtb-used-by-the-linux-kernel/39931834#39931834
and then doing the inverse operation.

Normally the original source of the dts for ARM should be present on
the forked gem5 Linux kernel fork:
https://gem5.googlesource.com/arm/linux/+/917e007a4150d26a0aa95e4f5353ba72753669c7/arch/arm/boot/dts/
but I can't find if easily for some reason, only
vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dts, maybe someone can clarify their origin.