I want to have just 1 target per cache line in MHSR queue ie., one target
per MSHR entry, but if I set parameter tgt_per_mshr to be 1, I get the
number of blocked cycles to zero i.e, there is no blocking due to full
targets.

If we see the allocateMissBuffer calls code in base.cc and base.hh, the
first time we allocate entry to a miss we create a mshr entry and target
for that and do not check the tgts_per_mshr parameter. The second time when
a miss occurs to the same cache line, we create target for that and then
check tgts_per_mshr to block the future requests.

The quicker way to find if tgt_per_mshr is working or not when set to 1 is
to check number for system.cpu.dcache.blocked::no_targets in
m5out/stats.txt.

Best regards,

Abhishek