Hi,

I'm a researcher who frequently uses gem5 in my work. I was wondering why
gem5 doesn't use release versioning instead of having users pull directly
off of the master branch on git?

Release versioning would be helpful as we can more reliably evaluate our
designs. Versioning, along with release notes, will let us know what's been
changed, removed, or added to the code base. Something I've experienced is
pulling gem5 one day and my experiments break due to  functions being
changed or removed and I had no idea. It'd also be helpful to have releases
so that gem5 doesn't change on us multiple times in the course of a week.

Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into maintaining gem5,
it's extremely valuable to us!

Mark Gallagher
Ph.D. Candidate, University of Michigan