Hi,

I am trying to run simulations in SE mode with a 1000+ (simple) cores. I
get the following error once m5.instantiate() is called.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/subh/gem5/src/python/m5/main.py", line 436, in main
    exec filecode in scope
  File “configs/se_mod.py", line 1586, in <module>
    m5.instantiate()
  File "/home/subh/gem5/src/python/m5/simulate.py", line 139, in instantiate
    stats.enable()
  File "/home/subh/gem5/src/python/m5/stats/__init__.py", line 180, in
enable
    stat.enable()
MemoryError: std::bad_alloc

My system is a heavily modified se.py and I have multiple custom
memObjects, some of which allocate memory, i.e. using functions similar to
createBackingStore() in src/mem/physical.cc.

Is there an easy way to track down which memObject class allocates the most
memory, or at least which memObject the allocation fails for? I have tried
invoking gem5.opt with gdb, but I don’t get a backtrace, presumably because
the failure happens in a Python function call.

Thank for any help.

Subhankar Pal  |  PhD Candidate, CSE  |  University of Michigan