SE I suppose? It seems that the benchmark ends normally with an exit
syscall, I would start by looking at --debug-flags SyscallBase to
double check that.

Then if that is the case, the only explanation is that some value is
getting corrupted somewhere due to a gem5 bug. So I would try to: 1)
compare traces from an Atomic and O3 run 2) GDB into the GDB stub to
see what leads to that exit being called.