Hi all,

I have two questions regarding the classic cache of gem5. They are as
follows:

1. Last-level caches in real hardware are usually not monolithic but are
multi-banked. It seems multiple banking can be efficient only if the memory
accesses are spread uniformly across all banks. Can such banking be
implemented in gem5 classic cache? Could someone provide any hint on how to
do that?

2. I have experimented with gem5 caches and found that a memory request
which is a miss at the last-level cache (L3) has to traverse the entire
memory hierarchy: L1-D (miss) > L2 (miss) > L3 (miss) > main memory (fetch
data) > L3 (miss-fill/write) > L2 (miss-fill/write) > L1-D
(miss-fill/write) . When the response comes from the main memory, I want to
bypass it to the L2 cache and let the miss-fill happen independently at L3
taking whatever latency it should take for an L3 write operation. I wanted
to make sure that the requesting core does not have to stall (wait) for the
miss-fill to finish, and can get the data as soon as it becomes available
from the main memory. Could someone put some light on how can this be
implemented in gem5?

Any comment/suggestion/clarification will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Aritra