To see how to integrate with gem5's systemc kernel, look at the examples
in util/systemc/systemc_within_gem5/ (not a great place for examples, I
know). To use TLM, you can take a look at the TLM/gem5 bridge
in src/systemc/tlm_bridge/. That's not intended as an example, but it's
relatively simple and will show you the nuts and bolts of how that goes
together. You'll also likely want to use the bridges to connect to other
components of the simulator. That should give you a pretty good overview of
the basics, and then most of the other concepts you'll likely need to
understand are just vanilla gem5 sorts of things like writing config
scripts.

If you don't yet have a TLM/systemc interface and it would be an equal
amount of effort to make one vs. making a native gem5 interface, there is a
tradeoff there. A native gem5 interface will have a little bit better
performance, but it will be less portable than a TLM interface if you
wanted to use it with something outside of gem5 in the future.

Gabe