Hi Leon,

In gem5, the caches are PIPT technically. But, you can model the timing of
a VIPT cache by changing the latency of your cache. As far as the kernel
boot log is concerned, I am not fully sure if "CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing
data cache, PIPT instruction cache" refers to the actual hardware cache.
Even if it is, VIPT and PIPT should be treated in the same way from
software's perspective. Following link might be helpful to know what kernel
is exactly doing when this message is printed:

https://linux-arm-kernel.infradead.narkive.com/xBwIht4D/about-cachetype-on-armv7

-Ayaz