I second Gabe's suggestion. I think the IDE controller is a good starting
point since it mostly models the controller and passes more complicated
(device specific) functions to the disks.
I mostly templated based on the IDE controller when we started adding a PCI
interface for GPU (see WIP here:
https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/amd/gem5/+/23485).

Best,

Pouya Fotouhi