This is one of the things I've never had the patience to figure out, some ideas:

  *   investigate in QEMU first as it is much faster
  *   look into busybox's init code

________________________________
From: Chao Fu via gem5-users <gem5-users@gem5.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 3:12 PM
To: gem5-users@gem5.org <gem5-users@gem5.org>
Cc: Chao Fu <605636...@qq.com>
Subject: [gem5-users] How to create serial terminal when creating disk images?

Hi,
I've recently been created a disk image for GEM5 FS mode. However, I have
encountered some problems.

I download ubuntu root file from:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-base/releases/20.04/release/ubuntu-base-20.04.1-base-arm64.tar.gz

And I follow the second method of this website tutorial:
http://www.gem5.org/documentation/general_docs/fullsystem/disks

Follow the tutorial instructions, I tried to put the following code into
/etc/init/tty-gem5.conf . However, I found that my operating system root file
did not have /etc/init directory. But I still created a new file
/etc/init/tty-gem5.conf.

It is a pity that I encoutered problems when I started this image.

Here is the error message:

[    0.697855] Freeing unused kernel memory: 384K
[    0.699120] Starting init: /etc/init exists but couldn't execute it (error
-13)
/bin/sh: 0: can't access tty; job control turned off

How do I create a serial terminal correctly? Is there a problem with the
operating system files I downloaded?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Chao