Hello fellow gem5 users,

I recently started using gem5 again, and my current question relates to the current best practice to generate ARM checkpoints using simpoints.

Specifically, even by generating BBV files (used by simpoints) for SPEC2k17 binaries through a fast mechanism, dumping checkpoints with the NonCachingSimpleCPU may still take months depending on where the last simpoint is (I am getting about 1MIPS with gem5.fast on a 3.4GHz Westmere Xeon, which is old, but still). Therefore, I wanted to ask if there currently is a preferred route for checkpointing fairly long-running workloads, like maybe using the kvm cpu model and a specific ARM dev board (but which one?) or server (then again, which one?).

Any insight or methodology details is appreciated :)

Best,

Arthur Perais