Hi Lukas. Would you mind filing a bug in Jira describing what's wrong with
the --dual option? The provided configs have gotten really big and complex
over the years, and it can be hard to work with them to, for instance, add
a new device like you're trying to. You might consider making your own
config which does exactly what you want, perhaps starting with a copy of
the provided configs and stripping away unnecessary code and pulling things
together until you have a much smaller, simpler config to work with to make
just how you want it.

To answer your question more specifically, the IGBE_e1000 device inherits
from PciDevice ultimately which has all the stuff in it to work with PCI
from a software perspective. There needs to be a PciHost object somewhere
in the SimObject hierarchy above the device which sets policy like where
config space is, etc. That should just work I think, but if not you can
even set that parameter explicitly (called "host"). Other than that, I
think all you'll need to do is hook up the connection to memory/a bus, and
the network interface to whatever simulated network you set up.

Gabe