Hi Giacomo,

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!

My main goal is to be able to implement new instructions in gem5 similar to
ARM's MTE instructions, so I've been trying to modify the gem5 files to be able
to add these new instructions.

And I thought I had figured it out, but when I try to run it, it is causing a
panic error so I am thinking that I am still missing something. The exact error
message that I am getting is:

   panic: panic condition !handled occurred: Page table fault when accessing
virtual address 0

I've been trying to manually inspect the files, but I am worried that there are
some files that I am not aware of that I need to change, because I've only
modified the following files so far:

   src/arch/arm/isa/formats/aarch64.isa
   src/arch/arm/isa/templates/mem64.isa
   src/arch/arm/isa/insts/str64.isa

So I was thinking that if I could trace a current instruction in gem5 to see
what files it is using, then I would know which files I may still need to
change to get new instructions to work properly. But I just wasn't sure if
there was something like this available through gem5's debugging or using GDB.

I've also only ran gem5 inside GDB, and I haven't tried remote GDB yet, so I'm
not sure it that makes a difference or not.

Right now I am in the process of trying to add my own debug flags using
DPRINTF() statements, but I'm not sure if that will work either since a lot of
the files are of ".isa" extension types.

I apologize for the abundance of questions all in one post, but I just found
this forum yesterday and I've been working on this issue for a while, so if
there is anything that I am missing that might help, it would be so greatly
appreciated. Thank you again for your time!

Respectfully,

Jason Z.