Hello Travis,

You need to write a script that describes the system you want to test with
synthetic traffic, then you can add a PyTrafficGen to your system. The
PyTrafficGen object has several functions that generate the traffic you
want such as createLinear, createRandom, createDram, createIdle,
createExit. Then you can call the start function from PyTrafficGen on the
traffic you have created. I think there is a script in
configs/dram/sweep.py that has an example of using PyTrafficGen. Please let
me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 7:23 PM Travis Dai via gem5-users <
gem5-users@gem5.org> wrote:

> Dear all users,
>

> I have been working on how to generate traffic by using TrafficGen.py and
> related files in gem5/src/cpu/testers/traffic_gen these days but without
> success.
>

> I have tried to run TrafficGen.py by command “python TrafficGen.py” but
> receiving error “ImportError: No module named m5.params”. I also tried
> compile traffic_gen.cc by command “g++ traffic_gen.cc -o traffic_gen” but
> fail again with message “traffic_gen.cc:37:10: fatal error:
> cpu/testers/traffic_gen/traffic_gen.hh: No such file or directory
>
>    37 | #include "cpu/testers/traffic_gen/traffic_gen.hh"”. Then I change
> the relative path to absolute path of header but the dependency of other
> files trigger other errors again, such as “traffic_gen/base.hh:45:10: fatal
> error: base/statistics.hh: No such file or directory    45 | #include
> "base/statistics.hh"”.
>

> Then, I switch to read  gem5 description for Tracing and traffic
> generation in
> http://www.m5sim.org/General_Memory_System#Tracing_and_traffic_generation
> and
> http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~swilson/gem5-docs/classTrafficGen.html#a53b678d216bdfcf5097c0f0436c16e30.
> The former website says traffic generator is controlled by a text-based
> configuration file, as can be seen in
> tests/quick/se/70.tgen/tgen-simple-mem.cfg
> .
>
> But when I go to the directory gem5/tests, there is no such kind of file.
> The latter website tells functions of related code but it seems outdated.
>

> My expectation is that using TrafficGen.py manually define which cpus send
> packets, how big they are, and which cpus receives packets and generate
> traffic. Then feed them to Garnet standalone debug mode to test network
> performance.
>

> Does anyone know how to solve this problem or give me some
> pointers/tutorials. I appreciate it very much!
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Travis

Mahyar Samani
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
Research Assistant at *DArchR <https://arch.cs.ucdavis.edu/> (*2235 Kemper
Hall)
Secretary
ECE-GSA