Hi all,

I'm quite new to using gem5 for research and had a few questions
regarding the KVM CPU and switching between fastforwarding and detailed
simulation on the fly.

I am interested in running some long benchmarks. However I essentially
want to skip the execution of certain functions in the benchmark. To
that end, is it possible in (SE mode), to switch to using the X86KvmCPU
for certain periodic functions (for example `malloc`) and then switching
back to the Warmup/Detailed CPUs for the rest of the code? The idea is
that I would like to invert the "region of interest" so to speak. The
se.py script does not seem to offer such functionality.

Unfortunately I have not found a guide or documentation for how to use
the KVM CPU, but my understanding is that it requires checkpoints to
have been previously created via the Atomic CPU? Is it possible to
accelerate this process (specially with the above constraint, i.e. every
checkpoint is either a call to or return from `malloc`, for example)?

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Kunal