It's normal for valgrind to slow things down a lot. One thing you can do to
at least improve the quality of the errors you get is to use the
suppressions file in util/valgrind-suppressions. The python interpreter
does a lot of things which upset valgrind, and this tells valgrind mostly
to ignore things it sees there. Also, make sure you build gem5 with the
--without-tcmalloc scons option. tcmalloc is an alternative heap
implementation which replaces the one valgrind instruments, so if you don't
do that, you won't actually check anything.

Gabe