Hi Jason. The instruction definitions in gem5 can be quite complex, and
it's unlikely you'll find a lot of information about specific details like
this through Google. Probably a good place to start is to try to understand
how the ISA description files work in general, since that will give you
more context on how they're being used in this particular case. You can
find some info about its basic structure here:

https://www.gem5.org/documentation/general_docs/architecture_support/isa_parser/

And you might want to take a look at one of the simpler ISAs like MIPS or
SPARC to see these in use without as much complexity getting in the way and
obscuring what's really going on.

For some of these variables like wbDecl and pcDecl, I think they are just
shuttling information around in the python code which is part of the ISA
description. For some others like use_wb and use_pc, these are used in the
instruction templates which are basically (but not just) format strings
which tell the ISA parser how to generate the C++ which implements a given
instruction.

Gabe